The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move email (on server) from one email address to another

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by trogladyte, Mar 7, 2013.

1. trogladyte

trogladyte Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have just set up a new website for a client, and failed to check how his email was set up, badly assuming it was normal POP3 <smacks side of head>. Turns out he uses MS 365 Exchange. So the first 3-4 days worth of emails piled up on the server unretrieved by him. Yes, he can get access to these via webmail, but wants them in his Exchange inbox.

With 365 I can "Connect to another account" and that should import all the messages sitting on my server OK. However, I can't do that right now as the email address is the same on the server as on 365. My idea was to make a new email account on the server - something like transfer@xyz.com - and toss all the mail in there, then import to 365.

Is this possible? I asked Hostgator (who I buy space from) and they said no, but I cannot see why it shouldn't be. Or can someone come up with a better or different solution?

Cheers

2. mtylerb

mtylerb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should be able to transfer emails from one account to another. I just did it via Outlook. I have multiple email accounts set up and just dragged and dropped from one inbox to the other. Alternatively, if you have access to the mail files in the /home/username directory, you should be able to copy them from there.

3. alexander7567

alexander7567 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Wow... what a eay solution to a tough problem! I dont know why i never thought of that! Thanks! Saved me a lot of time and work.