The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move mail from a cpanel account to another

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Frankk, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Frankk

Frankk Member

Let's say I have domain1.com and domain2.com

Now domain1 inc has just bought the domain2 inc

As part of the merge of the 2 companies they decided that only domain1.com would stay up but they still need the emails from domain2.com.

The question is how can I take 2 cpanels and get the emails from domain2.com onto the account for domain1.com without reconfiguring everything.

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You will need to backup the email data from the second account. It's located in:

/home/$username/mail

Note that this is purely the email data, it's not the email account username/password information. After you terminate the second account, you would need to add it to the first account as an addon domain name, create the individual email accounts, and then restore the mail data that you backed up. After restoring this data, you must manually update the ownership values to reflect the new username.

Thank you.

3. Frankk

Frankk Member

Thanks for the headsup, but I already knew I could do that, what I want is to move the accounts themselves not just the content. There's a bunch of them and recreating means re configuring them all also (desktop, tablet, phone and all) which would be a really long day in hell.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The account data is stored in:

/home/$username/etc/$domain/passwd
    /home/$username/etc/$domain/quota
    /home/$username/etc/$domain/shadow

However, note that in addition to manually copying those entries to the new account's "etc" directory, you will also have to use a "replace" command on these files to reflect the new username.

Thank you.