The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moved DNS away email still thinks it is local delivery.. help

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by taproot, Nov 3, 2008.

1. taproot

taproot Well-Known Member

I have a client who decided to use external DNS with an exchange server etc.. so I removed the entire DNS entry from my server as we would not be hosting email or DNS for them. However when I email them they never get the email. I suspect that the server still believes it is a local delivery so they cannot receive my email since I send from the same machine. Is there anything else I need to do after I remove the DNS entry? Restart DNS or Exim or something. I made the change about 3 days ago so it should not be propagation at this time.

Cheers,
    TR

2. Computerbob

Computerbob Active Member

I have a number of user that use hosted exchance. Works fine.

Two things
    You should point the MX records to the exchange server if you are managing the DNS.

Second you need to put a entry in the /etc/remotedomains file. This tell the server that the mail is not hosted on that machine. It only applies to mail.

Then restart EXIM and you should be done.

3. Computerbob

Forgot to also tell you to remove the domain from the file /etc/localdomains

You will find the domain in there and you should delete that line.

Bob

PS you will root access for these changes.

4. taproot

taproot Well-Known Member

so those are just exim related files, I obviously would not want to remove anything regarding hosting as I do host the site still. DNS is external so I don't have to point the MX records. Thanks for the info too!

Cheers,
    TR

5. Computerbob

It really doens't matter about the DNS zone file. You just have to tell the server that mail delivery isn't on this server. Now If I send a email to that domain they will get it because the MX lookup know where to send it.

But if you happen to be on that server and send mail, the servers know that domain is on that server and doesn't have to send it out to the internet.

That is why you have to add the entry to the /etc/remotedomain file and remove the line item from the /etc/localdomain.

Maybe I mis read something but don't delete the files only edit them and add or remove the domain name.

Bob

#5 Computerbob, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008