The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moved nameserver to new host, not working right

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by civ, Mar 9, 2004.

1. civ

civ Member

I moved my primary DNS server to a new host (left NS2 at the old host). Everything appears to be set up correctly in WHM, but after several days I still get errors at DNSStuff.com for NS1 (NS2 is fine):

NS1 trace:
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstime.ch?name=ns1.civilizeddesign.com&type=A
    DNSReport.com also returns an error for NS1:
    http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=ns1.civilizeddesign.com

What would cause the root servers to return a cached answer for NS1?

2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Did you modify the host record for the nameserver that you moved with your nameserver's new IP address with your registrar?

3. civ

civ Member

Yes - at the registrar for civilizeddesign.com I created ns1 and ns2 (based on civilizeddesign.com). Also, I have verified that the nameservers used by civilizeddesign.com are ns1.civilizeddesign.com and ns2.civilizeddesign.com - and the IPs they resolve to are correct.

And what's strange is that everything seems to work fine - my sites have had no downtime. :confused:

4. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Just ran a test of civilizeddesign.com at dnsreport and everything seems to be working just fine.

Just takes a while for propogation.

5. civ

civ Member

Excellent - thanks! It has been about a week though, so I'm not sure about the propagation.

Just had an interesting thought though. After checking nameservers for other domains at dnsreport.com I found that ALL of them give a similar response to my NS1.civilizeddesign.com ("reports a CACHED answer. THIS MAKES IT IMPOSSIBLE TO TEST YOUR DNS TIMING, SORRY"). For example, the nameservers for cpanel.com:

NS1.globalwebhost.com's DNS Report
    NS2.globalwebhost.com's DNS Report

Apparently this is a valid dnsreport.com answer for a nameserver! If so, all is well for my primary nameserver. That leaves my secondary nameserver, whose DNS Report (NS2.civilizeddesign.com) gives a full answer as if it were a "normal" domain. So maybe something is not right with my secondary zone? Perhaps NS records should only exist in the zone file for civilizeddesign.com but not for NS1 and NS2.civilizeddesign.com?

Thanks for bearing with me - it's frustrating being on the wrong end of the DNS learning curve. :rolleyes:

In case it helps, here is the zone file for ns1.civilizeddesign.com:
    Code:
    @       14400   IN      SOA     ns1.civilizeddesign.com.        admin.civilizeddesign.com.      (
                                            )

ns1.civilizeddesign.com.        14400   IN      NS      ns1.civilizeddesign.com.
    ns1.civilizeddesign.com.        14400   IN      NS      ns2.civilizeddesign.com.
    ns1.civilizeddesign.com.        14400   IN      A       69.93.89.178

localhost.ns1.civilizeddesign.com.      14400   IN      A       127.0.0.1

ns1.civilizeddesign.com.        14400   IN      MX      0       ns1.civilizeddesign.com.
    ...and for NS2.civilizeddesign.com:
    Code:
    @       14400   IN      SOA     ns1.civilizeddesign.com.        admin.civilizeddesign.com.      (
                                            )

ns2.civilizeddesign.com.        14400   IN      NS      ns1.civilizeddesign.com.
    ns2.civilizeddesign.com.        14400   IN      NS      ns2.civilizeddesign.com.
    ns2.civilizeddesign.com.        14400   IN      A       66.197.146.6

localhost.ns2.civilizeddesign.com.      14400   IN      A       127.0.0.1

ns2.civilizeddesign.com.        14400   IN      MX      0       ns2.civilizeddesign.com.

6. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Let me start by saying the above is a most creative use of DNS that I've seen in awhile. ;)

Standard practice is to point Domains to Nameservers, not Nameservers to Nameservers. Sort of like plugging your coffee machine directly into your Fuse box rather than an outlet. But that is neither here nor there as the purpose of the setup is not known -- to me anyway.

If you were doing a transfer of accounts, from one Server to another, and wanting to prevent any downtime, you've probably created a lot of future work for yourself once the transfer is complete.

It might help to know, DNS Report provides information on Domain setups and not 3rd level setups. That is why you get an error when testing for Nameservers -- which are 3rd level Domains by definition. Due to the way you have structured your DNS for ns2.civilizeddesign.com, it is being treated as a Domain and not a Nameserver, which is why you get information on it.

Having said that, that old adage of, "whatever works for you" or "if aint' broke dont' fix it" would apply, if it fits your purpose. Although, it does seem a waste of 2 IPs, they can do more than just provide for Nameservers.