The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moved /usr/local/ (and thus /usr/local/cpanel)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kbuser, Nov 30, 2010.

1. kbuser

kbuser Well-Known Member

Our /usr partition has consistently been filling up, and it started getting a little ridiculous having to clear files out of it every so often.

I moved the largest folder (/usr/local/ [contains /cpanel/ so in retrospect may not have been the best choice]) to a new partition and symlink it.

After this, we ran into an issue when trying to use the cPanel interface page (giving a 404 not found for /frontend/.../index.html after logging in).
    If you removed the file pathing from the URI the page would load properly after a refresh or two, aside from the drop down list of accounts that were owned by the reseller.

I eventually went into WHM and forced an upgrade to the latest cPanel version. Everything seems fine now aside from a few things:

• On the cPanel interface page, accounts owned by the reseller don't show up in the drop down list for Switch Account (it's empty).
    • In WHM, the search functionality doesn't work.

Now I'm going to look for a script to rebuild accounts or something of that nature, and hope that I don't have to restore the /usr/local/cpanel folder.

Do I have any options here aside from deleting the symlink and restoring the /usr/local/ folder from back up?

2. kbuser

kbuser Well-Known Member

Bump. You guys still read these forums or should I go straight to a ticket?

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Moving such a core directory and creating a symlink is not advised. There are many programs that do not respect or follow symlinks, and as you have seen, this can create problems. The best course of action in your situation is to move /usr to a partition that has more free space available.

If you happen to have an LVM configuration, you can add space to the logical volume on which /usr is located. If you do not use LVM, you will need to move /usr to a larger partition.

4. kbuser

kbuser Well-Known Member

Thank you for your response.