The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving 2gig or larger files accross network ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nyjimbo, Jan 30, 2006.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

We do alot of backups on our systems and would like to move one copy accross the network every now and then. It seems that if a .tar or .pax file is more than 2 gigs it wont download.

Does anyone move files 2 gigs or larger accross their local network (unix to unix) ?. Whats the best utility or ftp client to do this ?

thanks.

2. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Well we have moved files that were much much larger than 2Gigs. We have moved our complete server backup (they were 8 servers) from EV1 to our new DC at them time of huricane hitting USA. Each backup was about 14 Gigs and we have moved it with scp command :

scp -r <backup.file.tar> root@hostname:~

If you are not able to move them than thats Network problems between the servers.

3. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    rsync should be able to do that, if it bombs then it will resume the transfer for you from where it left off.

4. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Thanks, I used rsync years ago but abandoned it when i didnt see a need anymore. I just installed v.2.6.6 on a few servers, did the conf and secrets file and then pulled lots of tar and pax backups accross the net in very good time. I am going to automate the whole thing and have it do it at night.

:D