The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving 7 gig account to new server

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by lbeachmike, Sep 17, 2011.

1. lbeachmike

lbeachmike Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there -

I am moving a 7 gig account between two cpanel servers. This account also has lots of subdomains.

I would like to use the built-in transfer functionality to copy account from a remote server logging in as root; however, I'm wondering what the best options would be.

Should I choose not to compress? Should I choose to use FTP?

Is this size account reliable for transfer or should I use the package account functionality and move it manually?

I don't mind if it takes some time - only if it will take hours.

Thanks.

Mike

2. JamesOtting

JamesOtting Registered

I would suggest using the default options, perhaps unchecking "use incremental backups speedup" if you want to use the current data rather than the backup from last night. This should automatically attempt streaming transfers if possible. An alternate solution is, if you are familiar with rsync, you can use "skip home directory" which will transfer everything BUT the files in the user's home directory (usually making for a very quick/small transfer), and then you can sync these over with rsync. Just make sure to preserve permissions and ownership... rsync's -a flag is best for this. The other advantage to rsync is that it can be resumed if interrupted, and will pick up where it left off.

Example rsync command, to be run as root on the new server (after transfering the account with "skip home directory"):

rsync -azvx --progress old.server.com:/home/user/ /home/user/

That should prompt for an SSH password (unless you have keys set up) and then start the transfer. If it is interrupted, you can simply run the same command again to resume.

#2 JamesOtting, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  3. PenguinInternet

PenguinInternet Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The main issue you will have will be network speed - as long as the transfers between the servers are fast there shoudldn't be any issues. With a slow connection it can eventually time out otherwise. We're regularly migrating 10gig+ accounts from Parallels Pro without any issues using the web interface

4. lbeachmike

lbeachmike Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks. The automatic transfer actually bombed after just a moment or so complaining of a failed checksum, so it never even successfully packaged the account.

I ended up doing the transfer manually by running a full backup, transferring and using restore from cpmove file functionality.

Transfer functionality used to work perfectly for me, but the last few go-rounds have been riddled with bugs.

Thanks.

Mike