The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving a DNS Only Server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jcwacky, Jan 5, 2015.

1. jcwacky

jcwacky Member

I have 2 DNS Only cPanel servers (ns1 & ns2), running in a cluster for a single main cPanel server. I have dozens of domains whose nameservers are set to ns1 and ns2.

I'd like to move ns1 from Rackspace to Linode and am looking for advice on the best way to do this, avoiding any downtime for my domains.

i.e. can I just delete the ns1 server on Rackspace, and create a new one on Linode called ns1 and setup the A record? Or is there a better way?

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You could setup the new DNS-Only server, add it to the cluster, sync the zones to it, update the "A" record for the name server to the new IP address, and then set the new IP address at the registrar for that name server. You can then disable the server that you are replacing.

Thank you.

3. jcwacky

jcwacky Member

Thanks Michael. But if my cluster already has the existing ns1.mydomain.com in it, will it really let me add a 2nd ns1.mydomain.com? As it seems to ask for the hostname when adding a server to the cluster.

Should I just remove the old ns1 from the cluster, then setup and add the new one?

James

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can enter the IP address of the server instead of the hostname if you prefer, or yes, you could delete the existing name server before adding the new one.

Thank you.