The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving a site with large databases

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Furby68, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Furby68

Furby68 Registered

I've recently bought a popular paintball website, and I'm wanting to move it from one server to one that I've leased.

WHM has a transfer function, but I'm a little reticent to use it because I'm seeing that large databases may or may not transfer over correctly. Furthermore, I'm not an expert in these sort of things, but I do have a little experience with cPanel, which is why I put it on my new server.

Can someone here answer me in simple terms (since I'm a dummy) whether or not a 8-10GB website with correspondingly large dbases would work okay using the transfer function in WHM? One of the things I love about cPanel is that it makes things easier for people like me, so if I know it can work, it'd help me out immensely!

#1 Furby68, Aug 9, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Probably not. But you could try to back it up from within the cPanel account and then move it to the new server and restore from there.

3. Furby68

Furby68 Registered

I'll give that a go and see what happens...any other tips are most appreciated!

4. krisdv

krisdv Well-Known Member

I had to use the same "workaround" to move a 750+ Mb account.

The WHM function to transfer the account timed out so I had to make a backup of the account and then transfer it from one server to the other using the scp command.

-- Kris

5. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have a similar site with a large vBulletin database. The problem we had was not so much getting the file copied but time out problem restoring the MySQL ... it took hours on out box.

What we did was to use the Cpanel site copy and restore but we did not restore the MySQL. We did that from command line (putty).

To restore a .sql DB, login as root and do this
    mysql -u DBUserName -p DBName < /path/to/.sql