Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Moving Account to new Partition exceeds account quota

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by martin MHC, Apr 17, 2019.

1. martin MHC

martin MHC Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I have an account sized as ~3.5Gb (all email) on one partition "/home2/" and I used the WHM "Change Partition" function (on the Accounts List page) to move this account to "/home/". Both partitions are on the same server.

The account has a storage quota of 5Gb.

The move completed successfully.

At some point later in the day, I found that the account had exceeded its quota by quite a margin, over 2.5Gb in excess of what it was previously and 1Gb in excess of its quota. This obviously causes issues for the client not being able to handle their emails.

I have tried to "find" the excess data in the account folder but there is simply nothing unusual there.

- I have moved accounts between partitions before and do not recall noticing this issue before.
    - I have read the CPanel / WHM documentation I have found re moving accounts and not found any relevant info.
    - I have search the forum and can't find relative useful help.

I believe the quota is caused by judging both the old account space "/home2/accountName/" symlink and the new account space "/home/accountName/".

1) How do I fix the account quota so that is shows the correct value after a move between partitions on the same server.

Please see the below image from WHM for the issue in question; note the ++ sign and
    reference (by this time I had incrased the quota limit to 9Gb to handle the overflow):

Image: https://i.ibb.co/wW87xhL/brmgarage-full.jpg

#1 martin MHC, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @martin MHC,

Can you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look at the affected system to see why the quota is not reflecting properly after rearranging the account? You can post the ticket number here and I'll link this thread to it.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. martin MHC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @cPanelMichael - I have submitted ticket 12017851 .

Incidentally, I am impressed how short the service queue is - I think this is a sign of WHMs ongoing improvements, previous tickets are in the ~40+ queue mark but now I'm at 10!!

Cheers

cPanelMichael likes this.
  4. martin MHC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Update:

The issue is ambiguous and apparently does not seem to be caused by changing partition -- but the WHM system (various subsystems) seemed to count emails hidden in the /.Trash folder . I don't know how they got there or why they're not part of the email quota counter, but removing these emails seemed to fix the quota overflow.

From the cPanel Ticket:

#4 martin MHC, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    cPanelMichael likes this.
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @martin MHC,

I'm glad to see the issue was solved. Thanks for sharing the outcome!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...