The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving accounts and MX Records

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ramorse, Sep 19, 2003.

1. ramorse

ramorse Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am new to having access to WHM as root. I am moving a bunch of accounts to a dedicated server from a shared server where I do not have root access.

Everything is going fine. But I am concerned about the propagation lag time for email.

Seems depending on where someone access the Internet, once the nameserver IP change is submitted, mail could be routed to either the old server or the new server.

Is there any way to avoid having to tell all the clients they need to check email on both servers for a few days?

Can I just point my servers MX record back to the old server in web host manager until the propagation is complete?

If so, do I need to use the FQDN for the old server or can I use an IP address?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. dysk

dysk Well-Known Member

Hi-
    One solution is to knock the ttl way down on your mx record a few days before you start the move. If you just set the ttl at 300 or 60, then the propogation delay will be pretty miniscule.

Another thing you can do is remove the domain from /etc/localdomains, and add it to /etc/secondarymx the same time that you change the nameserver record. This will cause the server to forward any mail it gets on to the new server, obviously you'd need the cooperation from the people hosting the shared server, since you need access to those files, which normally requires root access.

Congratulations on the dedicated server!

Good Luck,
    Erek Dyskant

#2 dysk, Sep 22, 2003
    Last edited: May 23, 2005
  3. ramorse

ramorse Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks. I might try the first solution. The other two require relying on my present host, which if they were reliable, I wouldn't be moving! :)

What does ttl stand for, btw? What exactly is the function. The default in my current WHM is 86400.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: