The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving accounts between clustered servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Dacsoft, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Dacsoft

Dacsoft Well-Known Member

I have 4 cpanel servers all with DNS Clustering. I want to move a bunch of them from 1 server to another. What would be the best way to accomplish that? Can I just copy multiple files from 1 to the other? Or should I move the backus to the second server and then reinstall from backup?

I did a seach but couldn't find this question (I know it is probably there if I get the correct query string).

If nobody knows, I will do some testing this weekend and post the results. But I have to believe somebody knows the answer.

thanks in advance...

2. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

3. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just started doing this.

It's seems pretty straight forward.

Use WHM to transfer the accounts (I'd start with just a couple to check for issues, hopefully 'non-vital' accounts).
    The transfer is simple. In a DNS cluster, the IPs change automatically.

When you're sure the transfer went as you wanted, you can delete the account from the old server. If you are your own nameserver, there shouldn't be any propagation errors. If you are using some outside Nameserver (domain records point to nameserver other than your dns cluster), then you'll want to make sure the sites on the new server is 'active'.

Important: when deleting the account on the old server, make sure you KEEP DNS ZONE. Otherwise, you delete it from the new server also (remember, it's in the same DNS cluster).

Things to watch for:
    path/to/public_html/
    Make sure if it was /home/acctname on the old server, that it is the same on the new server.
    If not, you will have to alter scripts. Example: I transferred FROM server1 /home2/acctname/ to new server2 /home/acctname
    All scripts I had needed to be changed to show new absolute path.

Also, for some reason, at least with the version of CPanel this week, my database users didn't come over, so my mySQL databases couldn't be accessed by the account. I had to create the user manually, and insure the correct password. Not sure if this is a bug that was fixed, or it was a quirk in my transfer. Just know that my Joomla setup on that account wasn't working, and I tracked it down to db_user/password.

[edit]
    seems the servers had two different versions of mysql (4.0.29 vs 4.1.20) so I wonder if that was the cause of the db_user issue. [/edit]

#3 SageBrian, Aug 7, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2006