The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving accounts from one server to another

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eter4, Jul 31, 2003.

1. eter4

eter4 Well-Known Member

I have recently purchased a new server in another datacenter... I will not be able to keep the same IP's.

What would be the easiest way to transfer the DNS to the new server with minimal downtime.

Should I register a new domain name and have them point to the new NS servers or how could I go about this

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. Nagaki

Nagaki Member

same here!

except, what i'm doing is downloading all my members account files and uploading them to the new server...
    it's a pain in the a**

3. tswaibel

tswaibel Active Member

Best bet I believe would be the following:

Login to your new servers WHM and use the feature "Copy Account from Another Server" which is located under the Transfer menu.

After entering the information of the account from the other server to transfer, WHM will automatically move the files appropriately.

After transferring one or multiple accounts to the new server, login to your registrar for your main nameservers which your clients currently use.

Edit the IP's for those nameservers from your old hosting system to the new IP's of the new system. This will alleviate any need for clients to modify their DNS as they're using your nameservers which were already modified. Expected downtime, most likely 24 hours provided the internet propogates the change within an average amount of time.

Good Luck!

4. Nagaki

Nagaki Member

i don't have the feature....
    :(

i only have whm v.7
    not 7.20