The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving accounts...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DigiCrime, Apr 3, 2003.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime Well-Known Member

If i want to move an account off of a server to another server, which option do you actually choose, and when you terminate the account on the other server, do you leave the domain db on the site? Correct me if im wrong, but if i move the account to another server, and leave the domainDB on the other server, then there wouldnt be no downtime since the A records on the new server would point to the old IP, yes|no?

2. mitul

mitul Well-Known Member

1. You can move an account by using the transferring accounts feature in the WMH panel.

2. Leaving the domain db on the server does not have anything to do with the domain downtime. Since you are going to transfer the domain on the new server the nameservers will also be pointing to the new server.

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime Well-Known Member

k thats 2/3's of my question answered cept it wasnt what i was looking for ;) the move feature in WHM there's two, one asks for a root password, the other just asks for a plain account password, whats the difference?

Second domain issues. If you have an account on server 1 with name servers dns1.com dns2.com but you want to move the account to server2 which has domaindns1.com domaindns2.com, cant you just leave the domain db on server one and still retain the original nameservers dns1/dns2.com? if you call the site from your web browser the domain db on server could point to the IP address on server2, you can edit the A record on server1 to point it to the IP address on server2 or am I making any sense? :confused: