The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving all sites to new server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JustSomeGuy, Apr 29, 2015.

1. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy Active Member

Oct 13, 2007
    OK first off, I know there are lots of posts on this issue and I have gone through them but have a question that is specific to my task.

The data center has provided me with a new server which is actually sitting in the same rack as my existing server.
    Our plans are:
    New server obviously has a different IP
    Setup the new server with the same configuration as the existing one (done)
    Move all websites over from the existing server to the NEW server. I am planning on using the transfer tool.

My question is "Which transfer method is faster". Should I be setting the existing server to do INCREMENTAL BACKUPS so when I use the transfer tool, I would USE INCREMENTAL BACKUPS SPEED-UP. Will that then make the transferring of sites actually faster.

I currently have about 300 websites on the existing server so it will take some time to move them all.
    I am just looking at the easiest method AND also the fastest as I know there will be downtime but I want to limit it.

One option that the data center offered was for me to backup all the websites on my second hard drive (which it does nightly), take that drive out and connect to the new server.

AFTER all sites are moved, then the data center would go and unplug the existing server and set the main IP of the new server to the existing IP. (Essentially move the IPs over to the new server)
    #1 JustSomeGuy, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

This is likely the fastest method available if you have the support of your data center. It skips what is often the longest step, the data transfer itself.

Thank you.