The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving an addon domain to it's own account - novice!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MPSc, Jan 26, 2011.

1. MPSc

MPSc Member

Hi Everyone - this is my first post.

I am a web designer (with the emphasis on designer!) I have recently purchased reseller hosting and I am now hosting my own site plus 6 others for clients.

I am not sure if I am operating cPanel correctly so I may need some help.

Up to now I have added each clients domain as an addon domain and I think maybe I should have created a new account for each? This would give me greater control over each account and also enable me to give cPanel access to my clients if they needed it?

What I need to know is how do I create new accounts from addon domains. I have read a couple of threads on this but I am still unsure of the procedure.

Can I set up a new cPanel account first (with email addresses and forwarders etc.) and then just transfer files etc. or is there a better way of doing things?

None of the sites have databases and are mainly static HTML pages. All site are backed up locally so file transfer/re-upload isn't a problem. There are no wordpress or any other installations yet so re-doing FTP uploads would be no problem.

I am a new user of cPanel and although I can see it's potential for me, I am treading carefully at the moment.

Many thanks for your help

2. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Steps to create an account through WHM.

Note : Before you create an account on the server, you should create a “package”. A “package” determines how much web space, bandwidth, mailboxes etc, your client can use. You will usually offer your customers a choice of several different packages to choose from.

How to create a package?

Once an account is created you can login into cPanel of the account using http://IP Address:2082 or http://www.newdomain.com:2082

After creating the account you can upload the data to the domain. If your backup is in cPanel format there is no need to create an aacount in the server. We can straightly restore the account into the server.

3. MPSc

MPSc Member

Thanks Varada S

In your opinion, is there any benefit to creating a new account or is an addon domain sufficient if the client does not need cPanel access?

Also, having set up a package and a new account, is it OK to just enter all the details of that account (email, FTP etc) before having to delete the addon domain and make the transfer? Will cPanel let me create what it may see as a duplicate account?

Many thanks for your help on this

4. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's always better to have separate accounts. From a security perspective, it makes a big difference. I don't know of any easy way to untangle an add-on domain into it's own account other than manually. cPanel does not provide an automated function for that AFAIK.

5. MPSc

MPSc Member

Thanks bhd, I have seen in other threads that the cPanel guys are working on something but at the moment I guess we need to do everything manually.

Do you know if I can create a new account which will essentially have exactly the same information as a previous addon domain?

I am worried that I may get conflicts. I guess I could just try it but I wanted to be sure first.

6. LinuxTechie

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

cPanel won't allow you to create duplicate accounts. So you better delete the addon domains and create new accounts. In a package you will be just referring the number of e-mail accounts, ftp accounts etc the domain can use and it is nothing more to deal with the account creation/deletion.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.

7. MPSc

MPSc Member

Thank you Varada

I set up a package and then a new account through WHM having deleted the old addon domain and everything worked fine however, when I uploaded the site files via FTP (into the /public_html folder) all seemed to work but when I pointed my browser to the domain, I just got an 'Index of..' display.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your help

8. LinuxTechie

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Are you getting an index of the files and directories? If so you are missing index page of the domain (index.html / index.php). Can you upload the index page of the domain to resolve his issue?

9. MPSc

MPSc Member

Yes I am seeing a directory index and I have uploaded the index.html file. The site is in fact just one page at the moment anyway announcing full site coming soon. I deleted the original account in it's addon domain guise and created a new account in WHM and the files are exactly the same. They were functioning perfectly previously. Must admit to being a little baffled!

10. LinuxTechie

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Have you uploaded the index.html in the right directory? Also check whether you have uploaded your .htaccess(if any redirect rules present).

11. MPSc

MPSc Member

I went back to the drawing board on this one and recreated the account(slowly!) Then uploaded all the files (of which there are not many) to the public_html folder and the same thing happened. This time though I kept refreshing the browser and after 5 minutes or so the page appeared! Maybe my browser was holding onto it's cached content a bit longer(?)

Anyway, I think it's solved now and thank you so much for your help.

12. LinuxTechie

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You are entirely welcome. Yes, it seems the browser cache created confusions.

It is good to hear that the issue is solved and you have got an idea on account creation & package creation.