The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving an 'addon domain' to its own account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JMusic, Jul 31, 2005.

1. JMusic

JMusic Member

One of my hostees has an 'addon domain' under his account, and he'd like to move it to a new account with it's own CPanel and everything. Is it possible for me to transfer all the files from the 'addon domain' to the new cpanel account through WHM, or does he have to manually download all of the files (2GB worth) and upload them?

2. dan_c

dan_c Active Member

in SSH you could create the new account, then move the folder for that addon domain to the new account, then chown the folder to the new account user. this might work, makes sense to me, however it could possibly cause some problems which I am overlooking.

3. TSRobG

TSRobG Member
    PartnerNOC

If the addon domain has any email addresses or mysql databases these will not be caught. You would need to setup the email addresses for the new account and then copy/chown the inboxes over. The mysql databases could be dumped to .sql files and then imported, however any applications which reference these databases will need to be re-configured as the username which is pre-fixed to the database name will be different.