The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving backup from Hosting provider to mine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carpoint, Mar 15, 2008.

1. carpoint

carpoint Registered

Hi, I am having a problem moving my website from a website that is hosted by some hosting provider to my own dedicated cpanel server.
    Looks like the old hosting provider does not let access to SSH.

How do i copy this website over?

Regards

2. mohd_007

mohd_007 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello ,

Through Cpanel ..........

3. johnmigen

johnmigen Active Member

Your hosting provider probably would not give you the root password to their server.

There are two possibilities:

1) Reset all the password in your old account, then go to WHM, use "Copy an account from another server with account password"

2) Go to each individual cPanel, perform a full backup and FTP to your new server. Once the file is FTPed over, move the file to /home/ then use "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file", enter the username and click restore.

Note: There might be some other ways like recreating account, restore home directories etc etc, but the first two are what we normally use, option 2 being our most preferred choice, as users' password will be kept intact.

4. electric

electric Well-Known Member

The only problem might be if the old cpanel account is using up close to it's disk space limit.

In that situation, the full backup file is not able to be created and the process will fail. Then there is no way to transfer the account using cpanel unless you first remove some files.