The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving cpanel to cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aldi, Apr 9, 2006.

1. aldi

aldi Registered

i have just got my new account setup and i am really unsure on how to move my old cpanel to my new cpanel. i logged into my new accounts WebHost Manager and found tranfer but im unsure what to do or how to do this? i have my old cpanel username and password and also the ip address of it.
    the only thing i dont have access to is the root or the root password of my old host and it does not have whm on the old host.

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

If you do not own the old server then the "Transfer" option in WHM is of no use as the old hosting co. will not provide you the root password of the server. In this case you have 2 options to transfer the account to your server(assuming you own the new server) :-

1) You will have to login to old cPanel and will have to take the full back of your account from the "Backup" option. A copy of the backup(.tar file) will be saved on your local machine, upload the file on your new server. You can then restore the backup file from the Restore option in WHM.

OR

2) Ask your old hosting co. to take the backup of your account and ask them to upload in your public_html dir. Download the backup.tar.gz file on your loacl machine using Ftp then upload on your new server. Restore the account using WHM >> Backup >> Restore a full Backup file.
    Refer this :- http://www.cpanel.net/docs/whm/Restore_a_full_Backup___cpmove_file.htm

3. aldi

aldi Registered

ok thanks for your help with this i was hoping not to do it the backup way as last time i moved my site it took ages to upload 10gb of data but seen as this is the only way i can do it i will just have to do it this way!

thanks for your help

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Huh? What you talkin about here?! Don't sound so sure!!!

Try the WHM function "Copy an account from another server with account password", works like a treat so long as you have your own cpanel password (and, obviously, root WHM access on the new machine).