The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving DNS from one Cpanel server to another

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by fuzioneer, May 15, 2013.

1. fuzioneer

fuzioneer Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2003
    We used to run 3 X cPanel servers
    1 was a backup server and ran our secondary dns service (ns2)
    1 was a webserver (web)
    1 was a webserver which also ran our primary dns (ns1)

all worked fine

we have let the backup server go (underutilised) and thought we had switched over our secondary dns to the other webserver

we have the nameserver domain running on ns1 and i edited the dns zone to add a new NS and A entry for the webserver to call it

We have bind running on web server

I can query ns3 fine on the server itself but everywhere else isn't seeing it and hence lookups don't work

I am no DNS expert so at a loss as to where to go from here ?

Should the A entry for the ns3 host be pointing to the shared IP or does it need its own IP ?
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Ideally, you should have separate servers for DNS purposes only if you are configuring a cluster. You can install cPanel DNS-Only on the servers that you use for DNS purposes only. That being said, while not recommended, you can configure the web servers to synchronize DNS changes to one another. Are you using the DNS clustering feature in Web Host Manager? It's documented at:

Configure Cluster

Or, are you simply utilizing Bind on two different web servers and do not plan on having the same DNS Zones on each server?

Thank you.