The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from Dedicated Server to VMWare based VPSes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by markjohnson, Mar 11, 2012.

1. markjohnson

markjohnson Member

Hi,

I have been running a number of client websites on my dedicated server for quite sometime now. With a few demanding websites (busy forums) the server has nearly run out of resources and now it's time for me to get a bigger, better and more resourceful server.

And so I am planning to get a 16GB RAM Quad Core VMWare ready server, with hope that it will allow me to offer VPSs to my clients along with existing hosting packages, as it would also allow me to separate demanding websites from the rest.

However, it is still an unknown territory to me and I would be delighted if experienced users can answer some of my questions and point me in the right direction.

#1 - My main concern is the demanding website, which is a VB forum with 300 simultaneous users, and 600,000 posts. Would placing it on a VPS affect is performance at all? Or in the interest of this website, am I better off with a dedicated server?

#2 - If Cpanel for VPS offers all the same features as Cpanel for dedicated servers, why are VPS licenses cheaper? Are there *any* drawbacks of moving onto a VPS Cpanel from a dedicated one?

#3 - There are plenty of guides around to help with configuring a Cpanel on a dedicated server. Are there any such guides around for a VPS running on VMWare?

#4 - is there any guide available on migrating from a dedicated server to a VPS?

Thanks to all in advance.