The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from external nameservers to private

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Alterego, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Alterego

Alterego Member

I'm hoping for some confirmation from others here who have done this before that my setup will still work with the following changes:

Initially my server at The Planet was set up using their external nameservers. It's become clear that I need to use internal nameservers, even though I don't own more than one physical server. I have 5 IPs, so I created ns1.serverhost.com and ns2.serverhost.com and registered them at godaddy where all the domains happen to be registered.

I then edited /etc/nameserverips, /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/wwwacct.conf to have the proper configs. I tried using WHM to do this, but it insisted on assigning the primary name server to my root IP number and then wouldn't 'see' the other IPs I had in the pool, so I had to do this manually and I'm hoping these IPs are actually going to work.

Next I edited the WHM>Edit Setup (after checking Manage Nameserver IPs to see that the nameservers I'd manually added were showing up -- they were) and added ns1... and ns2... to the primary and secondary nameserver slots. I manually added the A records to the zone, and I'm waiting for the changes at the registrar to propogate.

Question 1: is that it? What about the Master Nameserver setting? Since my server's ip number ends in .114 and the nameservers are .117 and .118 respectively, but are physically on the same server, I don't believe I need to do anything with that setting. Just leave it blank, correct? Or do I need to put the ns1's IP number in there?

Question 2: is there a way to verify that Bind ready to listen on those other IPs? WHM tries to or assumes, if allowed to automatically assign IPs, it wants to use the root IP, not the one I've assigned NS1.

Anything else I need to check? Don't want the sites to go dark once the registrar's updates begin to take effect...

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Bind listens on all of the ips regardless of what you setup in WHM. It just listens for any requests from any ip on the box. The entire thing with "private nameservers" is mostly a joke. The one advantage that some places have is that the private nameservers have a reverse dns entry for that ip, other then that it is meaningless.

3. Alterego

Alterego Member

Thanks. It 'seemed' like that's what was happening, but wasn't really sure. Once I can fix the problem with cpanel not binding the additional IPs and the NOC sets up the reverse DNS pointers, everything should be a go.