The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from Fedora to CentOS - please help calm my insecurities!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spaceman, Jan 14, 2006.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Hi All,

At this exact moment in time, I'm halfway through the installation of Fedora 4 on a brand spanking new Dell 1850 server. But as a relatively active reader/user of these forums, a little voice inside my head keeps telling me that CentOS has been mentioned many times as a favourite Linux distro for a production server running cPanel+WHM (and probably any other web server management system for that matter).

And so I've just done some searching, and sure enough, CentOS appears to be the outstanding favourite.

But here's the thing. I've been running web servers with Redhat 7.3 and Fedora for nearly 5 years, plus our local development server is running Fedora, and whilst I'm anything but a Linux guru, obviously I have a natural affinity/familiarity with it.

So my fear of introducing new CentOS servers (running cPanel/WHM) into the mix is of course the fear of the unknown.

As crazy as these questions might sound to Linux gurus who've had the good fortune to work with multiple distros, I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me that the following concerns just ain't true (and/or are absolutely no cause for concern):

1. Command line instructions might be different
    2. File structure might be different/unfamiliar
    3. Software packages that run on one do not run on the other
    4. If I'm migrating hosting accounts from Fedora to CentOS using WHM, then I'm going to run into incompatibility problems of some kind or another that will take time and effort (and therefore money) to resolve.
    5. Did I miss any other myths that need dispelling?

'Course what I'm hoping you're going to say is "mate, you won't notice the difference - except for the fact that your server will not be more stable. Go for it!".

Any takers? Thanks in anticipation.

#1 spaceman, Jan 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  2. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    1. No, they are basically the same.
    2. Nope
    3. That may be the case, though RHEL 4 packages will work with CentOS 4 for example. So there is flexibility unlike Fedora. FC1 packages ONLY work on FC1 etc.
    4. Incompatibility no.
    5. Err nope.

Regards,
    Alan

3. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Just as I suspected :)

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

...plus the benefit that you're getting security and OS support for the next 5-8 years via RedHat instead of 4 months from Fedora.

5. richy

richy Well-Known Member

The way I see the split:

Fedora: Home users/developers
    CentOs: Small to medium businesses
    Enterprise: Enterprises/large businesses