The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from Front Page to cPanel

Discussion in 'Migrate to cPanel' started by rtegart, Mar 28, 2012.

1. rtegart

rtegart Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Up until now I have been using MS HomePage and editing my files online ever since my hard drive failed. I need to start using cPanel but ave no idea where to start. Can I download my entire website from the online computer to my own computer and then edit from there?

2. JeffP.

JeffP. Well-Known Member

Hi rtegart,

You can download website files to your own computer, then edit them there. You will then need to upload the edited files to the computer that hosts your website.

For example, if you download a file called "test.html" from the online computer which hosts your website, after you edit it on your own computer, you will need to upload it to the same location that you downloaded it from. This will overwrite the test.html file.

Please let us know if this information is helpful.

3. rtegart

rtegart Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It's the first part of your suggestion that I'm having problems with. I no longer have Front Page so I don't know how to download my website to my computer.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi rtegart, first things first, you should grab a full backup of your account I think. Sounds like you've already had a problem, a backup of your account is always a good thing to have.

In your cPanel, find the Backups icon in the Files section of cPanel. On this page you may or may not have options right here to download System Backups. if you do you might see buttons that are titled daily, weekly, monthly. Click Daily and download the file.

If you don't see those, do you have one there that says "Download or Generate a Full Website Backup"? This can be used to create a backup right on the account (and other options). Leave this set to Home Directory, make sure your email address shown here is correct and click Generate Backup.

Back on cPanel main page, find the File Manager icon near that Backups icon. The first time you click this you get a small popup with options. Select Home Directory here, tick show hidden files, tick Skip this question... and then away you go, File Manager opens for you. if the backup you just generated is complete, you'll see it here, right side of page at bottom, file name starts with the word backup-

Click the file once. At top of page click Download. Now you should have the full backup that includes everything on your account, website files, email etc. If you wanted to dig thru that backup you can unpack and do so. That backup would of course be needed if you had to restore the account, or move to another server and should be kept up to date.

From this File Manager you can also backup a single directory if you wanted. Your website is located in the public_html directory you see there in File Manager. Click the public_html directory once, and then at top of page click the icon titled Compress choose the options it asks and save. When complete, you have a file now at bottom of page here again called public_html.zip Click that once and then click Download at top of page.

So we have multiple backups now saved locally. Click those backups on the account one at a time, and then click Delete at top to remove them and free up space on your cPanel account.

Now you want to edit a file on your website of course. Navigate into the public_html directory, find the file and click once. At top of page you see editor options. Code Editor, HTML Editor and just a plain ol' Edit button. You're on your own here to decide which one works best for you.

I've never used frontpage, so not sure what you're used to seeing, but the explanation above should get you pointed in the right direction I'm sure.

GL!