The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Hosting to cPanel DNS Question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Matthew Wakeford, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Matthew Wakeford

Matthew Wakeford Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hey I'm new here, having a bit of trouble with my project. I'm trying to move just the host of my website to a WHM/cPanel VPS, all gone well afaik, but it's not picking up any test pages I try.

I found this thread which is exactly what I want to do Host a website for a domain hosted somewhere else? but so far no luck.

Any advice would be great as I am new to WHM/cPanel, I've come from shared hosting so am taking steps into a VPS and cPanel. I was told it would be a whole new host of options compared to shared hosting control panels, and wow, but once I get your head round things, I'm hoping it is and it's just me starting slow, so I am looking forward to learning more once I get this up and running.

So far I have done the following;

Got my self a shiny new VPS subscription all ready to go with WHM and cPanel installed.

For simple testing, I have created an A record of "installer"at the current hosting providers DNS pointing at the VPS IP address.
    Waited a while and I can now ping the A record "installer.domain.co.uk" and is showing the server IP now.

I have created an account in WHM with the domain name I want to use, with the Nameservers pointing at the current hosting provider's DNS.

In Nameserver selection under Service Selection I have selected disabled.

In Nameserver Record Report under DNS Functions I have both the listed Nameservers of my current hosting provider.

I logged into cpanel from List accounts and loaded file manager.
    Uploaded a test index.html file to the public_html

when testing installer.domain.co.uk I am still seeing the cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi page which at least means I am pointing it at the right server address I presume.

I'm wondering what I have missed. Any help or pointers would be great at this point.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Did you setup the cPanel account on the VPS for "domain.tld" or "installer.domain.tld"? You will need to ensure "installer.domain.tld" exists as the domain name associated with the cPanel account, or it's created as a subdomain from within cPanel.

Thank you.

Matthew Wakeford likes this.
  3. Matthew Wakeford

Matthew Wakeford Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thanks, I managed to try that last night oddly on a whim, but it wasn't playing ball. I created an account from "Create new account" with the domain called installer.domain.tld, I ran into "You will need to use Advanced Zone Edit" when trying to use the simple zone edit to make an A record for installer.domain.tld on installer.domain.tld.
    I managed to find the Feature Manger as a lot of the tuts online I found said Package Manager is where I would find it to enable it.
    I briefly started looking about Subdomains and Addon Domains.
    Sort of hit a wall at that point as it was early morning so needed sleep.

Changing direction this morning/lunch..., I managed to use another domain I have on the same nameserver/host in question and I changed the A records www and . from that host pointed back to the new cpanel server, waited an hour or so and it pings and works fine even with test .html pages and a .php page on www.domain.tld. and domain.tld. I have a way forward at least as it's hosted on the new server and live.

Thanks for clearing that up that it needs to be installer.domain.tld. If I plan to do it that way around again.

Also where would you recommend a great place to start reading more about cPanel from the ground up level?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator