The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving mail from one server software to another.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by edesignway, Sep 26, 2005.

1. edesignway

edesignway Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a client that is on a Windows Plesk machine. He would like to move over to linux.

On the Plesk machine, they are using Mail Enable Standard edition. I have copied the contents in their mail file and pasted it into the inbox file on the cPanel machine. The mail server skips over this pasted information as if it doesn't exist. Is there some way I can import this information?

Thanks!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can only append the data from another mail server if it uses the same mailbox format. In the default case with cPanel, that would be mbox. You'd be much better off having the client simply pop their email off of the old server.

3. edesignway

From what I can tell, it is the same format. I was comparing two test accounts, one on each server, and each is formatted the same way.

4. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

There is probably some sort of indexing file for it as well. Not sure, but a lot of times if your mail is stored in one file, rather than a lot of files in a directory, this is the way it works.

5. edesignway

Does the setup with Exim have an indexing file besides the inbox file? If so where or what would I look for?

6. edesignway

Would downloading the email into Mozilla and uploading the Mozilla mbox file work?

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Not if it conforms to the mbox/maildir standards it doesn't - mbox format files are a single large file, maildir is one file per message.

As I said before, why not just have them pop the mail off the orignal server using the IP address?

8. edesignway

It would have been nice if the client could pop things, however they strictly use web mail.

I downloaded the email into Mozilla Thunderbird and uploaded the conents of the Inbox file to the server and that worked like a charm!

Thanks everyone for your advice.