The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving my server for the First Time - NEED ADVICE!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M4N-N4N, Sep 18, 2005.

1. M4N-N4N

M4N-N4N Registered

Hello! I am the owner of what is now a fairly large website. I started on a shared server and was then upgraded to a dedicated server (fully managed) by my provider. The time has come for me to leave my provider due to a number of reasons, but mainly because their servers are crappy and there is too much downtime.

Here is my problem: I need to move to a high end dedicated server for the first time on my own, and I am not skilled in the process. I mean I can setup the nameserver stuff, upload the files- but other than that I am lost. Of course we have cpanel and will be getting cpanel on this new high end server.

Other than changing the nameserver information with my domain name provider and having my server 'setup' by my new provider, what else do I need to do to get my site running properly>? I know I need to restore my sqldb's after my files are uploaded to my new server, but I am told I have to prepare my whm before launching>? I dont realy know what this means can someone tell me what steps I need to take to restore my site properly to functionality on this new server?

Here are some details to help you help me:

- I have a 15 gig in size website
    - we are moving to a 2.8ghz Xeon CPU, 1 gig ram, 80 gig hd, Virtuozzo and cpanel server. For the exact details look at this link for my new server:
    http://www.rackforce.com/?lid=home_page&lpos=sub_menu **It is the one called DDS5000
    - We have 3 sqldbs
    - This new server is for only ONE website. No more than that. Just one only.

Can someone who is experienced please provide me with the a step by step process on how to move my website over to a new server properly and easily? Perhaps a step#1, step#2 format would be great! Thanks for helping me out!