The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving resellers' accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xperience2, Dec 5, 2003.

1. xperience2

xperience2 Active Member

Hello!

How easy would it be to move 90 accounts under a reseller's account from one machine in the US to a machine in the UK?

Not worrying about the nameservers which I could change separately, just the actual accounts.

How seemless could this be done? Is it possible to do without customers even knowing?

Thanks

Simon

2. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

in theory - it would be quite simple.

But you'd have to let your clients know.

reason for that is because of the propagation period.

If you don't tell them - they could be updating pages on the old server, and then lose all the changes once domains start pointing to the new server.

or clients seeing old info on the old server while updates go to the new server. you get the idea I'm sure....

3. xperience2

xperience2 Active Member

Would I have to ask clients to do it or could I move the sites/files myself?

Would I have to recreate accounts?usernames? Passwords?

Simon

4. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

You could do it yourself, I do it all the time.
    However, you have to estimate about 10-15 minutes on a busy server(I usually move accounts to lighten load on a server, can't wait for the clustering functions to do it for me), you have to make sure you move the dns zone properly, in case your clients edited them, etc... Moving the ip from server to server in a dedicated ip environment, etc...
    It's also a little longer when you move the reseller account itself, as you have to copy the privileges over, and then delete the account and privileges.
    90 accounts would most likely take all night, should you choose to go that way, perhaps more.