The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving servers: DNS question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by RamiroS, Apr 22, 2011.

1. RamiroS

RamiroS Member

Hello,

I have a cPanel server with my own custom DNS. For example

ns1.domain1.com
    ns2.domain2.com

I want the new server to have these DNS

ns1.newdomain.com
    ns2.newdomain.com

Can I redirect / alias ns1.domain1.com > ns1.newdomain.com and is this a good aproach or should I stick to the actual name servers? I dont want to modify all the domains I have hosted but I would prefer to have the new names and redirect DNS requests, if possible.

Thanks,

2. lijeeshsd

lijeeshsd Active Member

Hello,

It would be better to keep the current dns servers unless you have any hard reason to abandon them. Otherwise, you will have to register all your domains with new dns servers which can be tedious if there are a lot of domains.

At SubHosting.net, we do server migrations for customers as part of fully managed hosting solutions. Following is the steps that we perform while migrating cpanel servers:

- Reduce DNS TTL values in DNS zones in old server to a low value such as 300 (5 mins). This will ensure quick DNS propagation.
    - Make sure that new server settings are compatible with old server settings.
    - Transfer cpanel accounts to new server.
    - Perform final sync of files and database.
    - Update DNS zone files in old server and replace old IPs with new IPs. It can be done with a simple shell script. This will ensure fast DNS switch.
    - Register your dns servers with new IPs.

You may ask your web host or server administrator to follow these steps. This will ensure proper migration without downtime or data loss.

3. RamiroS

RamiroS Member

Thank you very much, I ended up using cpanel to move the accounts and did all the dns stuff as it was before.