The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Servers WHM > WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Invision, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Invision

Invision Registered

Situtation:
    I want to move a few resellers and all there clients from one server to another without getting all the clients to change DNS settings at there registrar.

I've test copy feature and have the sites on the server I want them to be host from but I'm having trouble getting the DNS to point to use the IP's of the NEW nameservers?

Any Idea's Suggestions?

2. brandonk

brandonk Well-Known Member

I think what you want to do is modify the DNS zones on your DNS server where you nameservers are pointing to. Say you have to servers, A is old, B is the new one, A is probably where your current nameservers are being "served" from thus A is the DNS server. Edit the DNS zones for the domains to point to the IP address on server B. It can take a bit of time for this to go into affect, if you put the TTL at 900 and THEN do the move a day later you'll be better off. Transfer the sites again right before you change the DNS so that your users get all their mail, changes they've made recently, etc and THEN RIGHT AWAY go and change the IP address in the DNS and BOOM in 15 minutes they will be on server B completely.

Good luck, hope that made sense. :D

3. Invision

Invision Registered

That is true, however when I create the nameservers on B it says that the ns1 and ns2 already exist (old ips).

So how can I make the transfer effortless for the account holders?

4. KevlerS

KevlerS Registered

Does anyone have a solution to this?

5. Invision

Invision Registered

Here's how I used to do it.

Buy another domain mydomain.net and then get the clients to change Nameservers from mydomain.com to mydomain.net

But it would be nice just to change IP's for namservers.

6. KevlerS

KevlerS Registered

I searched the forum a little more and found this:

Q: Yes, but how do I know the IP addresses if I cannot allocate them in WHM?
    I receive the message below: Sorry, the name server ns1.***.com already has the IP 216.180.x.x assigned to it.

A: You must manually edit the /etc/nameserverips file -- which is read-only by default.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4452&highlight=moving+servers

7. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

There's probably an easier way, but this is what I just did that worked. I moved the sites. I edited the DNS zones on server A to redirect their sites to server B (and removed their /etc/localdomain entries on server A). I manually edited /etc/nameserverips on server B, added my nameservers from server A and selected Add an A entry (this may have required a manual edit, too). I changed the IP's of the nameservers with my registrar. A couple days later that change propagated and I was done. I wiped server A clean and prepared it for it's next function.