The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving Servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MythX, Feb 20, 2004.

1. MythX

MythX Registered

Hi,

We recently decided to change servers from one dedicated server to another. I have moved all the accounts across, and I'm now looking at the DNS settings.

What I want to do, is maintain the same name servers that existed on the first dedicated server. However, when I input these nameservers in the "Edit Setup" page of WHM, and click "Assign IP Address" next to the nameserver, it says "Sorry, the nameserver ns20.domain.net already has the ip xx.xx.xxx.24 assigned to it.

The IP Address that is already assigned to it is the IP address of the old server. And the same for the secondary name server - it shows the IP of the old nameserver as being assigned to it.

How can I make the server assign IPs to the nameservers? Because soon I'll move the DNS on the domain from the old server across to the new one, and the old dedicated server's account will be terminated... So the new server can't refer to the old server for DNS information.

Thanks,
    James

2. inogenius

inogenius Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Edit /etc/nameserverips.
    It'll say something like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx=0
    Replace with 0 with the nameserver.

3. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Im a bit puzzled by this.

I want to move all my accounts across to a new server, while using the same nameservers, but whm wont let me move accounts without having the nameservers already setup.

ive edited the /etc/nameserverips file to reflect the nameservers, but im still having no joy.

it keeps telling me to setup nameservers on the server.

any ideas?

4. dorkon

dorkon Registered

I'm having the same problem. The only way I got WHM to assign an IP was to change the name of my name servers which is not the ideal solution as I have a reseller account and all of the accounts under me would have to then change their name servers.

Any new ideas on this?

5. DSD

DSD Member

I'm interested in this as well. Does anyone know how to assign nameservers to a server when they are in use on another server?

6. cyanide

cyanide Well-Known Member

in order for a domain or hostname to recognize the new ip addresses, you have to register them at your domain registrar.
    Enter the nameservers and corresponding ip addresses, like you would any domain.

7. DSD

DSD Member

This is correct, however it's not exactly what I want to do.

Server A is old, and has tons of clients on it. It also currently houses my nameservers

I would like to setup Server B, assign nameservers, and get all account functioning correctly.

I will then go to server A, and update the DNS for each site to point to the main IP of Server B. This way, if Server B has problems, I can quickly cut back to Server A, but simply editing the A record on server A.

If all goes well, then I"ll simply go to my registrar and update the nameservers, thus finalizing the move to server B.

Am I making this too difficult? I'm looking to do this with the least amount of disruption, as these websites are my clients sole source of income.

8. Itworx4me

Itworx4me Registered

I am having this same problem. Has anyone figured out how this can be done so customers don't have to update there nameservers???

9. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

A quick way to do this, if your registrar allows, is to change at the registrar the nameserver records to be "A" records at the registrar. Several registrars offer dynamic assignments that happen in seconds (I know Enom does.)

Just set dnsx.yourserver.com (or nsx.yourserver.com) with a A record that is the IP address.

A note - GoDaddy will not allow this.

10. jackal

jackal Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Go to etc/nameserverips add the name servers there as mentioned above.
    Then in WHM add the name servers there for primary and secondary. Then add the host name under change hostname then move the accounts.