The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving sites from dev to live

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by michaelbhahn, Jun 22, 2007.

1. michaelbhahn

michaelbhahn Member

I hope somebody can help with this.

I need to create an account, develop a site (ecommerce, CMS) and then switch the domain to the clients live domain. The clients are currently being hosted elsewhere and I want to keep their sites live while we develop their new sights, then switch them over.

I tried creating two accounts and switching domain names in the modify account section and I ran into database errors. (modified the sites internal config files )

Sorry this may seem vague.

What do you guys do to develop?

2. michaelbhahn

michaelbhahn Member

OK, so this is what I am going to try:

Create an account for the new client. Change the domain name to one of my "spares". FTP, install configure build the new website. Then change the domain name to their "live" URL. Point their DNS to my server. Cross my fingers.

My last attempt I ran into database privilege issues and had to go into MySQL and change it manually. (Didn't understand why it changed)

I thought about trying to use some sort of redirect or sub domain so I can access the sight over the internet without modifying the account domain. I just don't know DNS well enough to do this. THe main goal is to be able to access the account over the internet with out using the client's domain name until the end.

Any Ideas?

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You can create a folder called /customer/ on your own account. Upload the files, create a database with your own name, setup the CMS, zip up the /customer/ folder from file manager (cPanel11) download the database from your account and you're set.

Upload the zipped /customer/ to thier account, unpack using file manager, Move contents to wherever you like via FTP, create user and database on customer account and import DB to it via phpMyAdmin.

Open config file for the CMS and change the path for the site and you're done.

Sounds like you're taking the long way there. Try this way instead. ;)

HTH

4. michaelbhahn

michaelbhahn Member

OK, I see what your saying. I guess I didn't really have a grasp on cPanel and how accounts were associated and tied in with MySQL. After fooling around with it a little I can see that they are not. I am still a little confused about the way it auto configs the DNS for the account as well, but your bypasses all of that.

Thanks for the info, I'm sure i'll have more questions later

5. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here's another way:

Let's say your client's domain is http://www.clientdomain.com and your domain is http://www.resellerdomain.com

Now, create an account, exactly as you would for the client, but use clientdomain.resellerdomain.com as the domain name, the preferred client's username & password.

Now, you can easily setup the demo site as you wish. When you're done, you could easily transfer the whole account to the client's own server, and then once transfered, edit the account, and change the domain to clientdomain.com - This works quite well for us :)