The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Sites to a new Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by portman, Sep 27, 2002.

1. portman

portman Well-Known Member

I am interested in knowing if anyone has seen issues with moving sites from server to server using cpanel's multiple or single site transfer option.

Both servers will be the same OS and CP version.

We have a reseller we are going to take from one server to a dedicated server and would like to move them the least painful way.

2. orca

orca Well-Known Member

No experience myself but when I was on a shared plan my host did this to my site moving from one server to another, I think. There were actually no problems I remember. Might be that some perl scripts didn't have the correct permissions anymore but that's way back.

3. roman

roman Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

There is one bug I have found with the moving accounts from one cpanel server to another. If the theme doesn't exist on the 2nd server the control panel won't work and you have to edit that user to a valid theme.

4. 360 Web Hosting

I just moved a bunch of accounts from one server to another, and all in all it worked ok. A few of the accounts had their passwords reset that I had to fix, but everything seemed to transfer well. One account in particular though that had a 100mb MySQL database, and about 400mb of images and html files, etc. and didn't transfer over at all...I'm sure the whole process just timed out - so I tar'ed the whole public_html dir and transferred it via SSH, and then did the same w/ the SQL database.

5. admin-bgisp

admin-bgisp Member

Can a reseller transfer from server to server easily?

6. cjg

cjg Member

After recently doing this to one of our servers, we had to manually re-add the add-on domains and parked domains. Interchange shopping carts also had some problems and the fix scripts did not do anything to solve the problem. Had to backup the customers catalogs directory and uninstall-reinstall the interchange cart from within their cpanel, then copy the backed up catalog directory into the catalogs directory.

We used both the single account copy feature, and switched to the mulit-account copy.