pcdior

Aug 1, 2004
Hello,
I have read all the posts about copying sites from one server to another. In the past I have had no issues using either the single or multiple site move feature in cpanel. Anyway, I have some huge sites 15-20 GBs and no matter what I do I cannot get them moved. I even suspended the accounts and tried the move, it would take hours and still no luck, I deleted log files and tried everything else I have read on this and other boards, including backing the accounts up in the shell /scripts/pkgacct2 usrname and that always times out on the big sites. Even trying to ftp the backups using cpanel to the other server seems to fail. I am left with standard FTP which will take many days it seems LOL. Any suggestions or other methods appreciated. Both running updated kernels and;

WHM 10.0.0 cPanel 10.0.0-R85
RedHat Enterprise 3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz

Any help suggestions appreciated!

AndyReed

PartnerNOC
May 29, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
One of the viable options is to: tar, gzip the web site, and then transfer the tarball from the old to the new server.

pcdior

Aug 1, 2004
Hello Andy, thanks for the reply! Awesome web site you have, you have a great knowledge base as well, very helpful. My only issue is any downtime, I am trying to set them up first and switch the IPS over, so I am worried about somthing going wrong with this method. Like not being able to get it back LOL that is my luck. I may try that way though with a backup, they are just so large! I used your method posted on servertune.com on a few that downtime did not matter and it worked perfectly and was very fast indeed. Thanks for the ideas.

Kimber

pcdior

Aug 1, 2004
Andy, thanks for your post and your site! I used your method to move big sites at servertune.com and just modified a bit. I took the backups from the original server and did:

scp siteuser.tar.gz [email protected]:/backup/cpbackup/daily/ to the new server and did a restore, it worked perfectly and was actually pretty fast! All the files are intact and fully loaded onto the new server.

Thanks Andy!

AndyReed

PartnerNOC
May 29, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
During the transfer process, some files/DBs get lost and/or corrupted. Keep the old server up and running after you switch for a couple of days; make sure that every thing including the Database(s) for all accounts work/run on the new server.

Gooc luck! :)

pcdior

Aug 1, 2004
Thanks! I have been looking through things and will take your professional advice as well. I was really racking my brain over this, thanks for your help and your site as well.

:) Kimber