The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving SSL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mspottedhorse, Apr 22, 2003.

1. mspottedhorse

mspottedhorse Member

A client is moving his site over to us and currently has an SSL cert. What would be the procedure to bring his cert with him and re-install on our server?

2. e-creations

e-creations Member

I imagine you will have to get with the issuing cert authority and supply a signing request from your box, then they will issue you the cert for that server. That all depends on where the certificate was purchased from.

I had to do that with geo on one of mine last year.

--t

3. SouthernWeb

SouthernWeb Member

When a CSR is generated, the customer should have received the .csr as well as the .key files. If the customer still has the .key file as well as their .crt from the issuing authority - shell into the box and place the key file at /usr/share/ssl/private.

The .key file name should reflect the name used in the crt - it www.somedomain.com.key or sales.xyz.com.key

If the customer doesn't have the key file, their current host can provide them with it.

Once the key is in place, go to WHM and past the crt file in the proper place and the rest works like magic ;)

4. xWho

xWho Well-Known Member

I'm following that process and WHM reports no errors, in fact it finds the key, fills in the fields for me and when I click Do It it says everything was successful. But the domain is not listed when I click on List SSL Hosts.

5. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

The best possible way, in this case, is to import SSL cert/key and add the entry in httpd.conf, "manually", at the prompt.

#5 AndyReed, Jan 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2005