The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving to a new host

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bou3lam, Sep 29, 2009.

1. bou3lam

bou3lam Active Member

hi
    please someone help, im moving to a new host, at my current host my websites are hosted as addons because i didnt had WHM access , so the websites are subdomains at my home root , at my new host i want them to be separate accounts with cpanel access each , how to do this please via backup/restore/ transfer please
    i just want to move the websites files + mysql databases only , no need for the stats and mail
    many thanks

#1 bou3lam, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. InstaCarma_Tech

InstaCarma_Tech Well-Known Member

If I understand the situation well, then the best and only(I think) way to go about this would be:

1. Take a package account(pkgacct) at the old host . This will include all your files and databases related to the addons as well.

2. Transfer it to the new server and restore it normally. This will create the main account and addons on the new server.

3. Now, using the cPanel, delete the addon domains ( Don't worry, the sub-directory and the files would still be there) .

4. Create individual accounts for the respective add-on domains on the new server.

5. Move the contents of the corresponding sub-directory to the respective accounts.

This might sound complicated but trust me it is simple enough!

3. sanjaydagar123

You can do the followings:

1) take backup of your addons folder via ftp OR choose your addons folder via file manager and click on compress, choose third option (GZiped Tar Archive) and it will compressed in .tar.gz, click on .tar.gz file and click on "download" icon and take the backup of .tar.gz folder in your desktop.
    2) go to backups, click on database file which is connect to your addons and take backup.
    3) order for new cpanel account, login to new cpanel account, go to backups option choose option "Restore a Home Directory Backup" to restore .tar.gz file and another "Restore a MySQL Database" to restore database backup
    4) change dns entries of your domain name according to new cpanel account details and it may take 12 to 24 hours for update and progate dns entries.

After above steps, you can change your host for addons domain and do not get any downtime for your website in progate time to dns entires because, you have data on old as well as new server.

4. bou3lam

bou3lam Active Member

thanks all , i managed to move them :)