Moving to a new server (cpanel to cpanel)

Operating System & Version
CENTOS 6.10 virtuozzo
cPanel & WHM Version
v86.0.38

mmaciel

Mar 25, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
hey @cPRex and @cPDavidL sorry to double post, but i'm trying out the transfer tool but it can't even connect to the remote (source) server, i always get an error about "(publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password)"

i've followed the steps here but still doesn't work

it's almost the exact same case as this thread, same servers versions and all, but i've been trying with both user and root option selected and still get this error, even with password or ssh keys, nothing works

i've tried the methods from here as well, but i don't even have firewall enabled on whm... i whitelisted the ip on cphulk bruteforce and allowed access to sshd on Host Acess Control and still nothing

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
For the issue you're describing, it sounds like there is an SSH connection issue between the two machines. Are you able to make an SSH connection directly from the command line of the Destination to the Source server? If not, the Transfer Tool wouldn't be able to connect either.

mmaciel

Mar 25, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
For the issue you're describing, it sounds like there is an SSH connection issue between the two machines. Are you able to make an SSH connection directly from the command line of the Destination to the Source server? If not, the Transfer Tool wouldn't be able to connect either.
yeah i can't either... i've been talking to godaddy team now, they are looking into this, will update here when i have more info

Reactions: cPRex

mmaciel

Mar 25, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@cPRex @ffeingol hey guys, sorry for the delay, but unfortunately i don't have an exactly answer the problem was. I talked to godaddy and they actually did the transfer and couldn't tell me what the problem was, other than some server sided setting being disabled that blocked external ssh connections. I talked to them on the phone and the person i talked to wasn't the same who actually fixed the problem, so he wasn't sure either.

Anyway, not sure if i should create another thread now, but i'm facing a new problem. The transfer was complete and i updated the dns server with my registrar to point to the new server ip, but the the nameservers are now resolving to two different ips, the new and the old one, causing many conflicts especially within our emails. I talked to my registrar and they said the new dns is already propagating, and godaddy told me ask them to re-sync the dns settings on their end so it stops resolving to the old ip. If i consult intodns, everything is mixed up in there, the new and the old ip address. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

dnsips.png

also, godaddy wont give me a secondary ip and my registrar won't accept the same ip for ns1 and ns2.

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I assume that ns1/ns2 point to the "new" server? Of so, check if there are ns1/ns2 records in the main zone and also check if there are ns1.xxx.yyy and ns2.xxx.yyy zones. My guess is that you'll find the old IP's in one of those places.

mmaciel

Mar 25, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I assume that ns1/ns2 point to the "new" server? Of so, check if there are ns1/ns2 records in the main zone and also check if there are ns1.xxx.yyy and ns2.xxx.yyy zones. My guess is that you'll find the old IP's in one of those places.
hey, thanks for answering.... actually, the ns2 is still point to the secondary ip from the old server, as godaddy won't give me a new secondary ip for the new server and my registrar won't accept the same ip for ns1 and ns2, so i had to leave that secondary ip in there

ns1 is pointing to the new ip, so i think the problem is mainly the secondary ip pointing to the old server secondary ip?

but the weird thing is our domains are not resolving to the old secondary ip, they are resolving to the old ns1 ip... could this be because the secondary ip redirects to the main one?

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
The line you pasted appears to come from intodns.com. As far as I understand that check it means that the IP that intodns got from the registrar (registered name server IP's) match what it got from the actual DNS zone. That is why I was checking that you check your doamin zone and ns1/ns2.domain zone to see if any of them have the wrong IP.

mmaciel

Mar 25, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The line you pasted appears to come from intodns.com. As far as I understand that check it means that the IP that intodns got from the registrar (registered name server IP's) match what it got from the actual DNS zone. That is why I was checking that you check your doamin zone and ns1/ns2.domain zone to see if any of them have the wrong IP.

i thinks this is exactly the problem

yes, it's from intodns, it also gives me this

dnsss.png

the ip starting with 1 is the OLD SERVER SECONDARY IP and is being used by ns2, the one starting with 7 is the new, correct ip from the new server, appointed to ns1

mmaciel

Mar 25, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@ffeingol

hey sorry to double post, but would i have any problems for not having an ns2? i've been talking to godaddy and they said this gen4 server i'm use CAN'T have more than one ip, it's not possible to have a secondary ip, and my registrar won't let me use the same one for ns1 and ns2, but it will let me use only ns1 and no secondary server

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I believe most registrars and domains do require you have two nameservers. I'm guessing this is a foreign domain? I know .de domains often have the requirement of ensuring the nameservers do not have the same IP address, to help ensure things stay online if one nameserver system goes offline.

If that's the requirement from the registrar directly you'll need to comply with that by getting a server that would support an additional IP address.

mmaciel

Mar 25, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I believe most registrars and domains do require you have two nameservers. I'm guessing this is a foreign domain? I know .de domains often have the requirement of ensuring the nameservers do not have the same IP address, to help ensure things stay online if one nameserver system goes offline.

If that's the requirement from the registrar directly you'll need to comply with that by getting a server that would support an additional IP address.
i see... we are from paraguay (.py) and they also require our nameservers do not use the same ip, but also i was able to leave ns2 completely blank, like there is not even a ns2, it's only ns1.ourcompany.com.py and that's it... pretty weird

i'm in contact with them right now to see if then can point the same ip address to ns2 too

Reactions: cPRex