The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to a new server - using same nameservers and hostname

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by sardelich, May 14, 2012.

1. sardelich

sardelich Well-Known Member

I would like to move to a new server which should use same hostname and namservers and about 40 accounts. So far I havent found any exact tutorials on this. Only how to avoid downtime when moving accounts but not nameservers.Is there any good tutorial on this?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The primary change to make for your name servers will occur at the domain registrar. When you have completed the transfer and are ready to change the DNS, you can modify the name server IP addresses at the domain registrar. Then, simply ensure the hostname and name server "A" records are updated to the new IP addresses on the destination server.

Thank you.

3. sardelich

I did account transfers many times but keeping hostname and nameservers the same on old and new server is a bit head scratching for me.Especially on how to avoid mess with DNS. I am about to order new server,can i put the same hostname on it as on the old one together with the same nameservers during the inital install of the server and cpanel.So far I had a reseller manage install and cpanel setup but it is time for me to move forward and manage everything from scratch. And save some money. But as you can see I couldnt find any exact info on how to migrate to new machine while keeping same hostname,main domain and associated ns.Could you please point me to the right direction :) I would really appreciate the a bit more detailed tutorial.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can use the same hostname and name servers, yes. The only difference to a normal migration is that you will need to update the registrar after the transfer so that your name servers are assigned the IP addresses from the new server. Also, ensure the "A" records for your hostname and name servers on the new cPanel server are pointed to the new IP addresses.

Thank you.

5. sardelich

So,first move all accounts and then change NS IPs and the main domain name at the registrar?