The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to a New Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by csb, Aug 11, 2009.

1. csb

csb Registered

Hi all,

I am looking for assistance in moving cPanel from a physical server to a virtual machine. Currently I have cPanel 11.24.5 / WHM 11.24 installed on CentOS 5.3 x86_64 on an IBM server. The new configuration will be utilizing CentOS on VMware ESX 4.0.

I was thinking that I would create the VM and install CentOS followed by cPanel. Once everything was up and running, I could then perform a full backup on the old server using the WHM and then restore the backup on the new server.

Would this procedure work to capture all the domains, users, emails, ftp, etc allowing everything to be fully operational on the new server? Would there be any issues with the licenses, services, domain/user profiles?

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

2. logicsupport

logicsupport Well-Known Member

>>>> I was thinking that I would create the VM and install CentOS followed by cPanel

Yes, after installing cpanel in to the new server you can transfer the whole accounts using whm to whm method. This will take the full backup and restore in to the new server.

You can transfer the accounts as follows from the new server whm

Login to WHM ( new server )

Transfers >> Copy multiple accounts/packages from another server >>

If the old server contains huge number of accounts or with huge size then it will be better to transfer the accounts via back end

3. csb

csb Registered

Thanks logic!

Didn't realize there was an actual built-in tool for my scenario.