The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving to different server and email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ctbhost, Dec 3, 2005.

1. ctbhost

ctbhost Well-Known Member

i am moving to a new server

both the old and new server will have the same os and version of Cpanel

when i transfer each account there maybe a short period of downtime while they propegate

my main concern is with email during the propegation
    is there a way i can sort of hold emails untill the domaiin has propegated to the new server ??

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Couple of different ways to handle this.

On a per-domain basis, you can lower your TTL for records to around 15 minutes or so a few days before you do the actual move. Then, when you plan on moving, update the MX records to reflect the new server. If it's up, fine, email will reach it. If it's not, then mail should be held for a bit before being bounced back to the sender. When all is said and done, you can raise the TTL back to what it was.

If you want to do the whole server at once, just shut down the mail services on both systems, transfer, then bring them backup on the new one. You can also play with IP addresses to get around the propogation delay as well (assign the old IP to the new server and a different IP to the old server).

I'm sure there are other things you could do as well.