The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to same machine

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by PauloResende, Feb 5, 2014.

1. PauloResende

PauloResende Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I need a little help on this.
    I have a virtual machine with cPanel WHM 11.26.20, the storage where this machine is located is a problematic NAS, and I cannot read some of the files of the virtual machine, although it works fine.
    I have a old copy of those files.
    I uploaded them to another storage machine, but I need to update the severall acounts and system settings that changed.
    Since I cannot have 2 machines with the same IP on the network I will have to change the ip of one of them.
    My question is, What is the best system to update the accounts, home dirs, SQL, Exim and other system settings that probably are changed on the current server to the old copy of itself?
    After that I will shutdown the server in the problematic NAS and keep the other that was updated running.

Thanks
    Paulo

2. chrismfz

chrismfz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Same accounts on both ?
    If not, the WHM > Copy Multiple Accounts/Packages From Another Server. will create the same users as is.

If it can't copy files, select skip home.

For homes, rsync over ssh will do the trick.
    Something like

(replace 22 if you changed ssh port)

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, I suggest transferring the accounts to the destination server using the "Copy Multiple Accounts/Packages From Another Server" option in WHM if possible. Manually copying over the data might be possible if necessary, but it's not a supported method.

Thank you.

4. PauloResende

PauloResende Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just one last minute doubt, all the accounts, dns settings from zones and machine setup settings will be updated when the "Copy Multiple Accounts/Packages From Another Server" is done, right?

Thanks.
    Paulo R

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you elaborate on which machine settings you are referring to? Note that when an account is transferred, it's not automatically deleted from the source server. That data still remains on the source server and the account remains active on the source server until you manually terminate it.

Thank you.

6. PauloResende

PauloResende Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I mean, for example, I have done some modifications on a DNS zone, those modifications are passed along with the account settings, right?
    Another one, the MySQL databases that are created as root user for an account, are they passed along with the user account? I have a client account that I use for website testing, the databases I use, was created as root., I guess that I'll have to recreate them on the 'new' server?

Thank you.
    Paulo R

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    DNS zones are transferred and should include custom entries. You can assign ownership of that database to the account so it's transferred by using the following tool:

"WHM Home » SQL Services » Database Map Tool"

It's a good idea to complete a test transfer of an account to make sure everything copied over successfully. Then, delete the account on the destination server when you are ready to complete the actual transfer.

Thank you.

8. PauloResende

PauloResende Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Done it.
    Thanks to all who helped on this :)

Regards.
    Paulo R