The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving two servers into one, handling DNS questions

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bartek, Feb 26, 2010.

1. bartek

bartek Member

Here is the scenario:
    Old Server One - DNS is handled through a NOC - no problem there.
    Old Server Two - hosts domain.com where ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com (which needs to be moved) serve as DNS for all domains on Server Two.

New Server - all configured, locked down with accounts copied already - with ns10.domain.com and ns11.domain.com as DNS servers, at the domain.com registrar.

When I move domain.com, I still need ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com to function as DNS for the rest of the domains served out of Server One, which will be trickled out over the course of the month.

Do I just move domain.com to New Server and make ns1 and ns2 in NS entries once moved? This means I'd have to have a mirror of entries for ns1 and ns2 (where all Server Two accounts are pointing to) in addition to what I already put together for ns10 and ns11 - is there an easy way to do this in WHM?

If I register ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com as nameservers at the registrar, I need all zones ready on New Server, pointing to Old Server Two for a while, until I move them. Not sure whether the "Synchronize DNS Records" does just that?

Just a little "confoosed", appreciate your input.

2. oshs

oshs Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi,

"Synchronize DNS Records" is for use with using external DNS servers where you send your DNS records. This is not what you currently have, so ignore it.

If I'm understanding you correctly, all you need to do is transfer domain.com to your new server, using ns10 and ns11. As your ns1 and ns2 are already set at your registrar, domains using them should still function correctly.

However the best solution in your situation is really to get external DNS servers, and you could then move accounts between servers as and when needed without all this headache.

Regards,
    Suhail.