The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving website to new server with the same name servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by wowhatever, Sep 23, 2015.

1. wowhatever

wowhatever Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, I just got new upgraded server on the same hosting provider. So I transferred one account from old to new server. And there is few problems:

1) I can't access preview page, when you click Account information > List Accounts > Domain's IP Address. It should go to 1.1.1.1/~accountname/ But it says:
    Not Found
    The requested URL /~accountname/ was not found on this server.
    I tried looking to Apache error_log, but there was nothing
    Apache mod_userdir is off (I need this function, because my old server is running on old PHP version, so I need to see if there is any errors after moving)

2) After failing to go to 1.1.1.1/~accountname I decided to redirect domain to new server, but the problem was that both servers are with the same name servers. Also in domain settings it says ns1.hostname.com ns2.hostname.com ns3.hostname.com. So how I need to make, that domain directs to new server, but not to the old one.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Have you considered simply updating the "hosts" file on your own computer so the domain name resolves to the new IP address? This article may help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

Thank you.

wowhatever likes this.
  3. wowhatever

wowhatever Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ohhh... I forgot that I can do that :) Thank you
    But there is one question, how I need to redirect domain, that have the same name servers, without deleting website's account in old server.
    So basically I want to leave website in old server, but when people opens randomdomain.com it should go to new server. I did similar thing earlier, but it was with different name servers, so that was easy.
    Sorry for stupid questions.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you elaborate on the current status of the name servers? For instance, are you using a DNS cluster?

Thank you.

5. wowhatever

wowhatever Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay,
    now domain's name server is ns1.memset.com ns2.memset.com and ns3. No, I'm not using DNS cluster.

I just terminated account from old server and now when I go to randomdomain.com (from different computer) I get cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi (Which says Apache is working on your cPanel and WHM Server) And browser plugin shows old server's IP address :)

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You will need to update the name servers for the domain name if you want it to resolve to the destination server. You must use name servers with IP addresses associated with the destination server if you are not using a cluster.

Thank you.