Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Wordpress to New Server without SSL interruption?

Discussion in 'Security' started by jazee, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jazee

jazee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm moving a wordpress site to a cpanel server. Because I've not yet changed the IP address at the DNS (I test by modifying my windows HOSTS file to point to the new IP), I can't use AutoSSL to generate an SSL cert for the domain at the new server as it detects the domain's IP address isn't pointed there yet.

By default the server creates a self-signed SSL cert for the domain but that (a) generates SSL warnings to the user and (b) even after the DNS is changed, wouldn't AutoSSL not replace the existing self signed cert?

So how they heck do you use AutoSSL without having to delete the existing trial SSL and then wait for AutoSSL to install the new SSL. There would be a period you have no SSL, and on Wordpress that also means, no access to the Admin menu.

Or are we typically talking less than an hour for Auto SSL to install the cert so do it late at night, OR, is there a way to force AutoSSL to replace the pre-existing trial SSL cert that is installed?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Actually, AutoSSL will automatically attempt to replace the self-signed SSL certificate with a signed certificate. Note you can use the following command to manually run the AutoSSL check for an individual account if you don't want to wait for the automatic nightly run:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/autossl_check --user $username
    Thank you.

3. linux4me2

linux4me2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Recently, it has only been taking a few minutes for AutoSSL to install certificates on our server, even if we just use the "Check" button associated with the site in the WHM -> SSL/TLS -> Manage AutoSSL UI. They've gotten pretty snappy. The real downtime will come from changing your DNS and waiting for it to propagate so that AutoSSL can "find" the new site.

4. jazee

jazee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    AutoSSL won't replace the certificate until the DNS updates the IP address to the new server. I believe with most SSL providers you can get a cert installed without the host record in the DNS pointing to the IP address where the cert is being installed at. I was able to do that with a Free Comodo SSL with email verificaition. But as it has been pointed out, AutoSSL is pretty quick these days so the downtime of the cert is pretty minimal during the DNS switchover.