The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTA poor reputation?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by webtipster, Jun 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. webtipster

webtipster Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi guys,

So I got a new server for a month or two ago now and everything is working great. I got DKIM and SPF enabled, no problems with spam, scanned daily and monitored.

However, I've been getting some rejections as of late with poor reputation rejects like: Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation.

But there is no spam nor signs of any spam activity, other than very low activity due to server being rather new and I don't have 200 accounts on the server lol.

If I check any of these rejection website it shows that there are no signs of spam, but rather "poor" reputation based on I am guessing low volume and the fact that server hasn't been around for long.

Any solutions as to how to improve the "reputation" other than keep sending email to create more server traffic?

Thank you!

#1 webtipster, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

In addition to SPF and DKIM records, you may also want to ensure the system follows the other guidelines referenced on the following document:

How to Keep your Email out of the Spam Folder - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Additionally, you may want to see if the remote mail servers marking your server with a low reputation status have contact forms that allow you to report that issue to their system administration team.

Thank you.

3. webtipster

webtipster Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks Michael. Yes I got all the cPanel documentation done and everything is in place as it should.

I do contact the remote servers and they always remove it, but due to the low reputation it always somehow few weeks later ends up getting put back in. This is the 2nd time it has happened. Not sure what algorithm they use, but looking at talosintelligence.com it shows it as poor reputation but lists 0 for spam 0 for volume and 0 for RBL blacklists lol.

Other than following the cPanel guidelines, there isn't anything else that can be done, other than some 3rd party "reputation" service.

Thanks again!

4. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. webtipster

webtipster Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes as I previously mentioned I already did check them all.

I guess the only solution is the age of the server, sending out volume, of clean emails and its reputation will increase in time. Correct?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You may also want to check with the remote mail providers to determine if they offer any specific guidelines on how to avoid the low reputation status (other than waiting for the server to send out legitimate emails over time).

Thank you.

7. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think you can ask your server provider to give a clean IP that has no reputation set previously because IPs are mostly rotated from one client to other with the new service... You can get additional clean IP, set it up as mail server IP address...