The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi shared virtual ips in whm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by znetmedia, Aug 3, 2003.

1. znetmedia

znetmedia Registered

Hello all, Just looking for some advice on how to establish multi virtual ips in whm....I am shairng a server with a partner and we would like to seperate our virtaul domains from each other onto to seperate ips...can this be done?

Thanks

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. hormigo

hormigo Well-Known Member

*bump*

#2 hormigo, Aug 3, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2003
  3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Give him a reseller account and in the reseller center you can give him his own nameservers and assign his own shared IP.

4. mmkassem

mmkassem Well-Known Member

IT Can be done
    Each will have to use a reseller account with an assigned shared IP Address for each.

If you want each of these reseller accounts to have root access then check All options in the Reseller Priv.

To assign shared IP to a reseller:
    Reseller Center > Manage Reseller Main Shared/Ipless Ip

[edit : I did not see your post squirrel, may be I opened the window since ages]

5. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy Registered

If someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.

I have 100 accounts in WHM which currently belong to "root". While logged in as root, I take one of those accounts and make it a Reseller, (and assign it all the privileges of "root"). I then go to the Reseller Center and select the "Manage Reseller Main Shared/Ipless Ip" option. I chose my alternate IP address for all accounts belonging to this new Reseller.

I then go to Account Functions >> Change Ownership of an account, and give two existing accounts/domains to the Reseller.

I run a check of IP Functions >> Check IP address usage, and see that the accounts belonging to the Reseller are still listed as using the root IP. So, I go to Account Functions >> Change Site's IP address and change the IP for the two accounts in question to the reseller's designated IP. I even receive a confirmation saying, "This account is now using Reseller ABC's shared IP".

Another check of IP Functions >> Check IP address usage shows that two accounts are now correctly listed as using the Reseller IP.

I go to my DNS management and change all the records of the two modified accounts to the reseller IP.

Today, I type both domains in my browser but they both resolve to the same site (the account which I added first to the Reseller).

So, what am I doing wrong? What step did I miss? WHM shows that I now have 98 sites using the root IP, and two sites using the alternate IP. All sites on the root IP resolve correctly, but the two on the alternate IP just keep resolving to a single domain. I've no doubt that if I added 50 accounts to the Reseller, all 50 would just resolve to one place. This is exactly what happened last time I tried this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

6. sephtin

sephtin Registered

I was having this exact issue. I have sites created under the root account. I then created a reseller and changed ownership of 2 of the sites from root to the reseller account. That didn't change the IP address to the resellers "shared" IP address, so I used the "change site's IP address" function to change it.
    Once both sites are owned by the reseller, and the IP addresses changed to the shared IP, I found that whichever site was the first one created is displayed when I try to go to any of the sites I added on that IP address afterwards.

I took a peak in the Apache config file, and think I figured it out.

---*** NOTE: Make backups of your config file before you attempt to edit it. If you don't know what you're doing, then please consult someone who does before attempting to manually edit your config files.
    ***---

At the very bottom of the httpd.conf file, you will find a section that looks like this:

<VirtualHost 123.123.123.123>
    </VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 123.123.123.123>
    </VirtualHost>
    Where 123.123.123.123 is whatever IP you are trying to share.
    (There will be a section like this for every site that you created for this IP).

I found that when I logged in as the reseller and created an account the way cPanel expects me to, it automatically added another line.
    It added the following:

NameVirtualHost 123.123.123.123:80

Adding that (Changing 123.123.123.123 to your IP address) above the first virtualhost entry of the IP address you are trying to share seems to have resolved it for me.

If you try it, let me know how it goes.
    HTH,
    John

7. EcpHosting

EcpHosting Well-Known Member

Thank you sephtin, this is just what I was looking for... it has me stumped and I didnt even think to check for this