The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi site WP inaccessible without host file edit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrwizard9k, Sep 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mrwizard9k

mrwizard9k Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I have recently taken over the webadmin role of a company. They currently have 3 sites on the same hosting, DB, in a WP multi-site format.

I have created a dev environment to create the new site, however I was unable to access it until I altered my host file to point the sub-domain at the IP address.

I have no issues viewing and editing the site from my PC however it is inaccessible from any other device. How do I go about changing this so others can view it? Error message: This site can't be reached site's server DNS could not be found.

Secondly once the approval is given, I will be going live with the dev site, but will be moving it to its own virtual dedicated server. How do I ensure that the sub-domain on the current server will be accessible to the new site on a separate server.

I'm sure I need to provide additional info, let me know what you need and I'll do my best to provide it.

Thank you!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It seems like you might have the DNS for the primary domain name handled by a remote DNS server. If that's the case, ensure you access the administrative interface for the DNS server and add the subdomain records pointing to the correct IP address.

Thank you.