The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple account owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vanessa, Feb 8, 2008.

1. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I was wondering if it's possible to have more than one user own an account (like a reseller owning the accounts it creates) or for there to be mutliple levels of admin access for whm. I know that there is no straight forward way to do this otherwise I would have figured it out by now.

Basically our company has a lot of employees that do not have root access to the servers, but we want to give them the ability to do things like change passwords, account info, etc. I realize that I can create a user with those privs and then change ownership of all accounts to that user, but what if I wanted to create another user with slightly more privileges without giving them full root? Kind of like a sudo system, but with WHM.

Has anyone been able to successfully set this up, or is it even possible?

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The closest is to create resellers and grant them the rights in Reseller Center. However, accounts can only be owned by two people, at most:

1. The reseller
    2. Root (root ownership is implied rather than explicit).

Is there some level of access, aside from multi-account ownership, that Reseller Center does not contain?

3. grayloon

grayloon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I have a similar question...

I want my client (the website owner) to be able to view a limited number of cPanel options while I can continue to view all the cPanel options as root. Is this possible?

4. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Basically I was trying to create two reseller users aside from root. A 'tier 1' user that is able to change passwords and account information, and a 'tier 2' user that can do all that tier 1 can do plus do things like create accounts, install ssl certs, etc. I'm basically trying to give non-admin employees the ability to do things to user accounts without actually giving them root access to the servers. We might need to come up with an alternate solution as this doesn't currently appear to be possible. It's no biggie, we were just looking into possible ways for non root users to do more.

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    At this time, the only way to do that within cPanel is to create a reseller and grant the Root privilege. Otherwise the Reseller will only be able to manage accounts directly owned by the Reseller. There is no good sudo equivalent in cPanel.

6. electric

electric Well-Known Member

This is easily possible using the www.rvskins.com cpanel theme.

http://www.rvskin.com/features/framePopup.php?pageId=4

(A recent new feature also allows cpanel owners to create unlimited cpanel users with limited access to specific cpanel functions.)

http://www.rvskin.com/features/framePopup.php?pageId=4