The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple cPanel DNS-Only Servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mikelegg, Nov 5, 2010.

1. mikelegg

mikelegg Well-Known Member

Are there any issues with running multiple DNS-Only servers in the same DNS cluster?

In fact, could I have a DNS cluster where all the nameservers were DNS-Only servers?

That way my web servers wouldn't have to do any DNS work.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually, that's the preferred setup to have all the DNS handled on the DNS only machines with the web server or servers pushing the zones to them. If you are going to do it that way, this would be the best setup:

On each web server ==> WHM > Configure Cluster ==> add ns1, ns2, etc. to that area with "Synchronize Changes" for the role
    Nameservers (ns1, ns2, etc.) ==> WHM > Configure Cluster ==> add each web server to that area with "Standalone" for the role

3. mikelegg

mikelegg Well-Known Member

Thanks Tristan

It would seem to be the best way to go,

But I had a vague recollection of someone saying that you could only run one DNS-Only version in a cluster - It was years ago, so maybe it was different then. (Or my memory is bad ... which it is)

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As far as I'm aware (and my knowledge goes back to 2003/2004 for cPanel DNS only), cPanel DNS only has supported multiple DNS only machines for clustering. Anyone who indicated that DNS only machines shouldn't be clustered together has a serious misunderstanding of the product.