The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Cpanel users for one account?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FromOz, Jun 8, 2007.

1. FromOz

FromOz Member

Hi folks

Just recently gotten a dedicated server with WHM and Cpanel.

My hosted account on a shared server, has a custom skin and other functionality they have developed.

One of the things I miss is having multiple "Cpanel" users (i.e. on my shared host, I can set up as many people I want to be able to admin any given site - see attachment). From hunting around, all I can find points to this not being possible in Cpanel.

Am I missing something or is that in fact the case?

Any pointers much appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can only access a cPanel account using a single account as the cPanel user is used in the configuration and ownership of all the domains it contains. If you want to split domains between multiple separate users you would have to use the reseller functions to create them in WHM.

3. eNetHosts

eNetHosts Well-Known Member

This wouldn't be a bad idea especially for some sites we host. Requires multiple user access and it's hard to track who does what when they're all using the same username.

4. FromOz

FromOz Member

That is a shame :(

Most of the sites I have I need two or three of my team to be able to jump in and modify/upload files to the server. When they do, I won't to know who did what from a tracking/troubleshootig perspective if things go wrong.

Perhaps cPanel should have a word with Site5 and see if they can do a deal, works perfectly (guessing they have some script tied to a database in the background) and I'm more confident knowing my team are not using the one password.

5. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If it's only file upload you're wanting, that can be achieved with FTP users right now. Simply create multiple FTP users in cpanel.

6. FromOz

FromOz Member

Thanks Brian, but I want them to have full cPanel access. Basically they admin the site just as I do, so it's not just a case of file uploads. I need them to be able to change files on the server, have access to the various databases (add/delete/modify), check the logs, setup subdomains if required etc.

Looks like it will be a case of us all using the same login which isn't the end of the world, just that coming from our setup on our shared server where our host has down some "magic" in the background to allow multiple users was a bit of a shock.

Cest la vie.